Sparkly knit (very lightweight) & satin cocktail dress altered from BurdaStyle “Malissa” pattern. I made this for the Malissa Variation contest they hosted in September.
It can be worn with or without the ribbon (although I personally like it without).
The original changes I made were:
- Removing the sleeves and collar
- Shortening the skirt by about 8″ (I’m 5’3″)
- Adding about 7″ of satin at the hem and attaching it to the inner seam to make a bubble
- Cutting out a circle in the back (while on the fold)
- Attempting to finish the armholes, neckline, and cutout using a rolled hem (which ended up being just turned under)
Burdastyle asked me to send in this dress to be a part of their fashion show in Germany (part of the DLD Conference at the end of January). I made some changes to make it “runway ready” as much as I am capable 🙂
- Bound neckline, keyhole, and arm edges, because the rolled-hemming was just too tough on the circle and the pleats. I’m not that good 🙂
- Re-sewed the hem. Before all the rough edges were showing inside. Now, none of them are! There are pictures at the bottom. I actually had to do a lot of playing around because I wanted it to bubble more. In the end, I didn’t make many changes beside hiding the rough edges (which included having to topstitch on the outside gray really close to the seam and catch the satin on the inside)
- Added a button closure at the top of the keyhole. After the binding there’s no way it would have fit over my head, plus it just looks nice 🙂
Pictures are at the end. Sorry I didn’t have my picture guy around to take any, so these are all on the dressform. I needed to get it in the mail 🙂
“before” Front View (no ribbon) – sorry for the quality on a couple of these
“before” Front View (with ribbon)
“before” Better pic of front
“before” Back View
After changes = so much better!
close-up of the pleats and front binding
close-up of the keyhole and button closure
hem close-up (outside)
hem close-up (inside)