I made this dress for my sister for Christmas. I worked with her on what kind of fabric to use and what kind of dress she would like. She didn’t know my final choices though! I love it! I want to make another one for myself.
It’s a bit big on me (mainly in the bust), but it fits her almost perfectly (I got very lucky).
The fabric is a very stretchy rayon/lycra jersey, very very similar to the one I used for my gray top. She loved that fabric, so I found the closest I could, although it’s darker (which I like).
I used New Look 6674 as the base for this dress, but made some major changes! Also, I hardly used the pattern instructions at all because it was so easy!
- I eliminated the waistband and joined the skirt and top pieces before cutting
- I also eliminated the darts since the fabric is so stretchy (all of this meant I was taking a fairly large risk in how I was cutting it out, but it worked!)
- I used binding around all the seams instead of facing the neck
- I did my own ties as an extension of the binding. Love them!
- I used a twin needle to hem the skirt and sleeves
- I extended the sleeves to make them 3/4 length, and had to cut a bit out of the underarm area as it was loose (it’s still a little loose because of the size of the armhole- this is my only concern- again it might fit her better than me)
Pictures (I will take more of her in the dress soon!)
Me trying it on
My pretty shoes- just because I love them! Payless Baby!
Hope in the dress! It fits her so well!
Original Pattern Picture