I made this suit for the Suit Variation Contest at BurdaStyle. All pieces had to be made from burdastyle patterns that you had altered. See the pictures and vote here. Mine are on pages 33-37, but look at them all! Some of them are pretty amazing.
The theme for this suit is simplifying patterns. Mainly because of my time constraints, since I only had 1 1/2 weeks to do all three pieces (and do them well). Also, I wanted this to be something I could easily wear for business, so I didn’t want to go too crazy (I’m an engineer, so it needs to look professional and not too artsy).
Made using the Steffi pattern.
- eliminated the collar
- for interest, I added a band around the neckline (which gave me tons of trouble!)
- shortened 1.5″ in order to go a little better with the high waist on my skirt (it may not be quite short enough in fact)
- used the sleeves from the Eva jacket, although they were altered to account for the lower shoulder seams in this pattern (also they were shortened which meant eliminating the cuff)
- fully lined
Nothing too crazy, because I only had about 1 1/2 weeks to sew all 3 pieces.
Made using Kasia.
- no pocket/pouch in the front, instead I attached the hip pieces directly to the skirt
- added a band onto the hem
- widened the waistband 1″
- shortened 1.5″ because I’m short :)
- moved the zipper to the back, used invisible zipper instead of regular
- fully lined
Made using JJ.
- not too much really, just eliminated the three smaller ruffles in favor of a big one down the middle
- also finished all seams using french seams because of the fabric’s nature to unravel
Suit:Black twill weave, 80% wool, 20% rayon (I think)
Shirt: Silk habotai (100% silk)
all from Fabric Mart
Oh yeah, it fits me perfectly! The dressform- not so much. Unfortunately I have a really small bust… :-P
(I forgot to wear my awesome platform t-straps from payless :()
Jacket – Steffi Variation
Inside of Jacket – finished seams
Skirt- Kasia Variation
Blouse – JJ Variation