Why is fitting so difficult?
Well I mostly finished my shirt the other night, and when I pinned the zipper, I realized it would not fit over my head! Then, there was an issue with the top of the back being too wide. That one is easy to deal with. So, naturally I got frustrated and walked away. I almost don’t want to deal with it, but after all the work I’ve put into this project, I need to finish it somehow. So, I need to go through my scrap pieces and try to find some big enough to insert in the lower side seams. Grrr. This is very frustrating.
There were never such devoted sisters… ha 🙂
In other news, my sister came over to sew with me last night! She wants to learn so I’m going to try to teach her! It’s so much easier to learn from someone who can help guide you than to learn from instructions.
She brought over my new subscription to BWOF which accidentally got delivered to my parents’ house, and was planning to make a dress from it. That is, until we found out that the smallest size was a 38. She’s even smaller than me, so that wasn’t going to work. Then she started browsing BurdaStyle for patterns (which she has done before), and saw the new Coffee Date Dress pattern (by elainemay) which was perfect for her measurements! So, we printed and pieced it, and made a muslin for the bodice so that I could show her darts and facings and so that we could fit it.. It’s fun teaching sewing 🙂 I hope she has the patience to finish her first dress! The first few are hard to get through when you’re not confident in your skills yet, and learning can be frustrating. At least she has my mom to help her if she gets stuck!
My other project in the works at the moment is recovering my office chair! The covers are made, but I’m waiting for warm-ish weather to take the chair out to the garage and use my spray adhesive. Tomorrow’s supposed to be in the 50’s 🙂
Finally, I tried finishing up a skirt last weekend that I was making out of this shirt.
Here’s my rough picture (the pleats are not well showcased…)
I got stuck on the zipper. For some reason it was making a big poof at the end of it. Anyway, I started this while ago, and picked it back up last weekend and finally gave up on it. I decided it’s hopeless. It might work if I had a larger waist, but it seems that the angle of the zipper is causing me the problems. Oh well, now I can move on. I say one lost project of the 30+ I’ve done is not too bad (especially since the shirt was thrifted).